Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Blue Like Jazz part next

Greetings from the Great Chicken Fried Nation! Sorry it's been so long since I last blogged. I was going to blog yesterday. But then realized I had already done what I was going to do and was supposed to blog about something else.
But, anyhow, I have now read the next two chapters (9 and 10) in Blue Like Jazz and will now blog about them here. Chapter 9 is called Change: New Starts at Ancient Faith. Everyone at one point in life or another has a crisis of faith. All believers come to a time of doubt and wonder if what we believe about God and Jesus is really true. This is a time to deeply and truly investigate the Bible and what we believe and see for ourselves if any of this is true.
In chapter 9 of Blue Like Jazz Miller tells of his cross roads of faith in his life. He was a Bible class teacher and says he was saying and teaching the right things, but didn't think he meant them. He said he felt like a fake. And that he needed to get out and find himself again.
He said that he and his friend got in a car and drove out. They went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona and walked down into the canyon. He said he was tired and sore. Then he just started praying out load to Him as he looked up at the sky and stars. That seemed to be were he found himself and found God again. He realized that man kind suffers because we live in a fallen world, a world that largely chooses to follow Satan, but that God wants to rescue us wants to find us if we will search for Him.
Chapter 10 is Belief: The Birth of Cool. In this chapter Miller talks about some of the things people choose to do because it is the "cool" thing to do or because the "cool" people are doing it. He doesn't seem to like that very much. If we choose to do something it should be because we are convicted by it and thus choose to do something about it.
He says that most of the world doesn't care or listen to people who say what they think if it isn't backed with conviction or belief. They might not care what you believe regardless, but they will listen if we are convicted by it and are doing something to solve it.
I love this statement by Miller, "I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for justice, grace, truth, and communicate the idea that Jesus likes people and even loves them". That is what we need to be about too.
------------------------
I have come to realize there are other blog series's that I have started that haven't been continued in quite some time. I am almost finished reading and blogging about A Gathered People (2 or 3 more chapters to do there) and have 10 more chapters to read in Blue Like Jazz (5 more blog posts there, since I do 2 chapters per post). Than I will start finishing those other blog series's. So please stay tuned in for those.
Thanks so much for reading. God bless you all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Hey Zach, I need you to e-mail me your address so that I can add you to view my blog! I don't know what happened to it!! Thanks, Sara Jo
sjneal@sbcglobal.net

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home