Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Sports Theology

Yo, yo, and hello to all of my readers. I hope and pray all of you are doing well today.
This is something I've been thinking about for some time now. This is what I call Sports Theology.
Sports Theology says that if team A's pitcher hits a batter on team B then team B's pitcher needs to hit a batter on team A. Or if there's a ruff play by one of the teams then the other team is expected to retaliate in some form or fashion. I don't know if any of you saw or now what happened in the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks game from last week, but one of the Knicks players tackled a player from the Nuggets (a great play in football, but this basketball) who was driving to the basket for a layup. Then a huge fight ensued. A prime example of Sports Theology. Your team "runs up the score" on our team, so we're going to retaliate. One of your players ruffs up one of my players, so we're going to fight now. That's the way it is in sports.
But that's not the way of the Kingdom. In fact Jesus says if a man stricks you on one cheek turn to him the other also. And if a man wants you to go with him one mile, go with him two miles. Jesus also says that peacemakers will be blessed and called sons of the Kingdom. This is what we can call Jesus Theology.
Often I get highly involved in cheering when I'm watching a game on TV and even cheer when there's a ruff play and will sometimes cheer for the other team to get even. I enjoy watching Monday Night Football. During Half Time there's a segment called Jacked Up. This is where the guys who do the Half Time show choose a hand full of plays in which one player hits someone on the other team so hard it knocks him clear off his feet. Often one of these hits will leave you saying "Ohhh...! Ouch!". It's one of my favorite parts of the whole game. It might meen I have a real violent and sidistic part of me or something. But again that's not Jesus' way. I need to work on this.
Your thoughts please.
God bless you all in Jesus' name. I hope and pray all of you have a great day!
Zack
Ps. The Mavs beat the Kings a few days ago and we won last night over the Sonics. Go Mavs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home