Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Bible Heroes

Yo, yo, and hello everyone! I pray all is well with each of you. I am getting back into the blogging mode now. Here is a new series of blogs I've been thinking about: Bible heroes. One of my heroes in the Bible is Timothy. He is someone I want to be like. The first time we hear about Timothy is is in Acts 16. Right after Paul and Barnabas split up, Paul decides to partner up with Silas (15:40) and they go off to Derbe and Lystra (16:1). It is there that they meet Timothy (16:1). His father is a Greek and his mother is Jewish. His mother and him both are converts of Paul's from back in Acts 14:8ff when he and Barnabas were in those two cities. Apparently Paul and Silas both liked him and the brethren there spoke well of him (v. 2). Paul recruited Timothy to join them on their missionary journeys from then on. Before they set out Paul has Timothy circumcised because of the Jews. They all knew Timothy's daddy was a Greek (v.3). Timothy did it and off they went. I just love that about him. Another story about Timothy I love is in Philippians 2:19-24. Paul tells the church there that he hopes to send Timothy to them hopes he will bring back good news about them (v. 19). Paul also says he has no else like him "who takes a genuine interest in your welfare" (v. 20). Other people look out for their own interests and not those of Christ (v. 21). And Paul says that they all now how Timothy had proven himself as he worked with Paul (v. 22). They worked together like father and son (v.22). There were other mission endeavors Paul knew Timothy could do. For example in 1 Corithians 16:10-11 say,"If Timothy comes, see to it that he has nothing to fear while he is with you, for he is carrying on the work of the Lord, just as I am. No one then should refuse to accept him. Send him on his way in peace so that he may return to me. I am expecting him along with the brothers".
In 1 Thessalonians 3:2ff we read, "We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. ...". And in verses 6 through 10 Timothy gives Paul a glowing report about them and how they are doing. In 1 Timothy 1 we read how Paul commissioned Timothy to stay in Ephesus in order to straighten out those who became false teachers who were distorting the truth of the gospel (vs. 3-7). And lastly, in 2 Timothy. In chapter 3 and 4 (3:10-4:18) Paul gives Timothy a charge to do three things. One, to endure hardship for gospel like he had done (3:10-17). Then, to preach the Word in all circumstances (4:1-8). And lastly, to come and see him, because he as about to be executed (4:9-18). Paul and Timothy were a great team. A dream team if you will. Paul obviously had full confidence in Timothy to full-fill the tasks he gave him to do, no matter what they were. I wonder what it was like for Timothy to travel with Paul, what they talked about, what they prayed about, how they interacted. I love Timothy's servant heart he must of had. I love the passion he must of had. I love the love in his heart he must of had. Timothy is certainly someone I want to be like. I will blog more about Bible heroes in later posts. Who are some of your Bible heroes? Comments please. Be blessed! Peace out. Power to the people!
Zack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home