Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

Greetings one and all! I pray you all are having a great day today.
I have blogged about 1 Corinthians 1 already, so here is 1 Corinthians 2. "When I came to you, brothers, I didn't come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power".
It seems to me that this series of verses illustrates Paul's humility. He isn't watering down the gospel or putting any body down. He is simply proclaiming the gospel to them (vss. 1-2). In verse 3, he talks about coming "to you in weakness and fear ...". This might refer to Paul's "thorn in the flesh" in 2 Corinthians 12. Verse 4 further talks about Paul's not watering down the gospel, but he is putting it simply and succinctly. It is obvious he had studied extremely thoroughly and took extra pains to make sure it is easily understood by everyone who would hear him. And lastly in verse 5 he talks about making sure our faith is where it should be: focused on God and His power and not on man and man's wisdom. Verse 5 perfectly leads into verse 6 through the rest of the chapter. We will discuss that the next time I blog about this.
Please feel free to drop a note about what you like and not like; what you agree with and not agree with, and so on. I know Pepperdine's Bible Lectureship was about 1 Corinthians a few years ago. If anyone went to that Lectureship, what were the theme lectures about that year and who were the speakers? And also, feel free to comment on these posts.
God's richest blessings to you all! Peace out. Power to the people!
Zack Blaisdell

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Zach,

Please send me your email address so that I can send you my address for Katie's wedding! Thanks!

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was Shannon Herman by the way! Forgot my blogger password! ha ha

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home