Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

1 Cor. 1 thoughts

Greetings one and all! I hope and pray everyone had a great weekend and a great Labor Day. My parents and I did. My sister and her family and our grandparents came over. That was a lot of fun! I miss seeing all of my siblings and their spouses (and soon to be spouse).
I was reading 1 Corinthians 1 today and somethings really stood out to me. The church in Corinth obviously had a lot of problems and Paul spends the majority of this letter addressing these problems and questions that they had. One of those problems is in 1:10-17."I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another "I follow Apollos"; another "I follow Cephas" still another "I follow Christ". Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? I am thankful that I didn't baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas, beyond that I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ didn't send me to baptize but to preach the gospel- not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of it's power".
Two summers ago I got the opportunity to go to Cameroun, West Africa for two weeks for a mission trip through my church. I worked with a great man of God who preaches the Word there. One thing I remember about him is we both spoke about the church of Christ. We are not supposed to talk about "Paul's" church, or "Matthew's church" or another person's church. It is Jesus' church! It's like when a couple gets married. The wife doesn't keep her maiden name, or another man's name. She takes her husband's name
In verses 18 through 31 we see how great God is and that He obviously has a sense of humor. He will show Himself to those who sincerely are looking for Him, and He will completely frustrate those who think they know it all and don't need anything.
Both Jews and Greeks find God when they honestly look for Him. And those from both camps stumble over the "chief cornerstone" when they (and we) think we know it all and don't need anything. May God help us to remember these things.
I think the Pepperdine Lectures covered 1 Corinthians a few years ago. If anyone reading this blog attended that Lectureship, please chime in here with any insights.
Of course I invite insights and comments from anyone and everyone. God bless!
Zack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home