Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Servant

Yo yo and hello! I hope and pray everyone reading this is having a blessed day today. I was talking to a gentleman at church a few weeks ago and he read me this story from his own personal notes. I asked him to make a copy of it for me. He did. Here's the story:
Ibrahim ibn Adham recalled 'I once bought a slave'.
"What is your name"? I asked him.
"What you call me". he answered.
"What do you eat?"
"What you give me."
"What do you wear?"
"What you cloth me with."
"What do you do?"
"What you command."
"What do you desire?"
"What does a servant have to do with desire?" he replied
At this Idrahim broke down. "Oh what a miserable creature I am", he said to himself. "All my life I thought I was being a servant of God, but I never learned the meaning of the word "servant" until now. (Faridudddin Attar, Muslim Saints and Mystics, 75)
Very thought provoking stuff. Please tell me what you think.
God bless you today in Jesus' name!
Zack

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great definition of a servant. I love the story. Did you get it from Bob Rogers? Steve Singleton? Just tell me yes or no. I bet I can guess who eventually.
Love you, Dad

12:53 PM  
Blogger Zack said...

Hi dad! It was Bob Rogers. Thank you for the comment!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home