Name:
Location: Plano, Texas, United States

I am 32 years of age. I am striving to serve God in all that I do. I also like to read my Bible, biblical/ theological literature, and the comics in the newspaper.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Master's Plan for Making Disciples part 2

Yo yo and hello to everyone out there! I hope and pray everyone reading this is having a blessed day today.
I've read the second chapter in The Master's Plan for Making Discples. This chapter is called How New Disciples Are Made: The Oikos Factor. Oikos is a Greek word meaning house. Now this doesn't just mean those who live in your house. It entails everyone in your realm of influence: your immediate family, extended family, neighbors, friends, co-workers, and so forth.
The auther talks about the household in the Old Testament and then the oikos (household) of the New Testament. Then he talks about the importance of oikos in the church today. He shows the percentages of his own church about how many people came to church and got baptized because of several reasons There were things like special needs 1-2%; visitations 1-2%; and so forth. But the overwhelming majority was Friends/Relatives at a shockping 75-90 %. If we took a pole like this in our own churches I would imagine we would have something similar to these. Then we find seven reasons that show why the oikos factor still works today.
This book is very practicle and very good. If you don't have it please get it, read it, and practice it! I don't know if Christian bookstores still carry it or not, so look up Charles Arn on google.com and find his books on line and look up The Master's Plan for Making Disciples. Great book!
God bless you all in Jesus' name!
Zack

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Singleton said...

I agree, Zack! This is a very good discussion of evangelism, and takes us back to the New Testament pattern of how Jesus and Paul did it. God knows how evangelism should work. To put it in modern terms, it's viral!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Zack said...

Thank you Steve! I love you and your family so much! Thank you for giving me the book!
Viral? Ha ha! That's great! Thank you for everything you've done for me. God bless!
Zack

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home